Content Harry Potter

Reviews

ghostchicken posted a comment on Monday 9th February 2009 5:34pm for Chapter 01

PTSD. It's killer. I can't imagine the horrors people in wars suffer. I've been spared that little corner of Hell. I've had nightmares, but nothing like this.

My husband is a Vietnam-Era vet. He was stationed with an air rescue unit based in Korat, Thailand. Their motto was "That Others May Live." He has...dreams sometimes and when he does, I have to be careful how I wake him. He's nailed me a couple of times. Nothing bad, mind you, but it didn't tickle.

Good job.

Abraxan replied:

My father had PTSD from WWII, so I saw it first-hand.   Back then it was called "shell shock."   He rode two B-17s to the ground the hard way during the wary and walked away from both crashes. Once he got home, he had a real terror of heights - not a good thing in a man who owns a roofing company and has to get on roofs to do the job estimates!   The biggest problem was bridges.   If we had to go across a long or high bridge, he'd pull over and Mama would have to drive across hte bridge.   I wasn't around for his nightmare phase - I wasn't born until he'd been back from the war several years.   But I've known other vets who've shared stories on rare occasion, so I had some good source material to draw on when I came up with Harry's problem.   I can't believe JKR didn't deal with this problem with Harry AT ALL, but there are a lot of things she didn't deal with in ways I thought were eigher necessary or logical - which is why I wound up writing fanfics!

Sorry your hubby has PTSD - it never goes away for some guys.   Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

Mandi Browning posted a comment on Tuesday 12th February 2008 10:04am for Chapter 01

I like the beginning to this story. It's a bit dark, but it's also realistic. I love that Dobby is onsiderate enough to stay outside the door in case Harry has a nightmare and that you had Harry give Dobby a new room for more comfort. This was a great chapter and I look forward to the rest.

Abraxan replied:

Dobby loves Harry and will do literally anything for him - cook, clean, go without sleep, die, whatever Harry needs.   Harry appreciates Dobby's loyalty and does his best to take good care of Dobby and Winky, hence the change in bedrooms.   Glad you enjoyed the chapter!

Abraxan

Christina C. Keimig posted a comment on Friday 4th January 2008 4:39pm for Chapter 01

Read the sample chapter of your book. Wow, it's going to be REALLY good. Congratulations!
And this story is going well so far also...

Abraxan replied:

Thanks a lot!!!   I'm glad to hear you liked "Star Sons" - and "Now and Forever" as well!   Thanks for writing!

rune1806 posted a comment on Monday 31st December 2007 7:05am for Chapter 01

short but a good start.

Abraxan replied:

As I've told some other readers, the chapters in "Now and Forever" will be much shorter than those in RF or ToD because I've spent the last two years learning how to write publishable fiction (and my first novel is coming out soon!).   Publishable fiction needs to be more tightly written, and there are word count requirements that need to be met for those who are new to the publishing world.   So N&F is the length of a "normal" fantasy novel, not fanfiction, and the chapters reflect that.

Glad you liked the chapter!  

Abraxan

Erik Wiggins posted a comment on Monday 31st December 2007 2:52am for Chapter 01

I am excited to hear about "Star Sons 1, Dawn of the Two". Can I order it from Borders? It's weird but as a fan, I feel like an insider and I can see myself bragging about knowing you as I buy the book and receive inquiries as to what I am reading. I guess my kids are right I am a 41 year old geek. As always, thank you for allowing me a few moments to escape into your world.

Abraxan replied:

Borders should be able to order it through Ingrams (the distributor most book stores use, which will have Star Sons listed as soon as it's published).   BTW, the title changed just before it went to the printers, so it's now "Star Sons - Dawn of the Two" (the "1" has been removed).

You made me smile when I read about your desire to brag about knowing me when you order my book!   LOL!   Thanks a lot!  

The expected publishing date is Jan. 7, but it may be delayed - there was a glitch in the proof, from what I've heard, so it may be another week before it's available.   I'll post a notice and send out an announcement when it's published!   Thanks for your interest!

Abraxan

Ken Warner posted a comment on Friday 7th December 2007 8:46am for Chapter 01

thanks for the update, both here and on your upcoming novel - I want to pre-order it.

Just wanted to let you know that my 12 yr old is on her 3rd re-read of this universe, and loves it every time, as i do.

thanks

Abraxan replied:

Thanks so much on all counts!   So you don't think my stories are too "racy" for your 12-year-old?   I was very cautious in how I rated them, but I've wondered if I was overly cautious.   I've had some reviewers who were 13 and their parents gave them free rein with my R-rated stories.  

Ordering info for "Star Sons" will be on www.whspubs  as soon as it's available.   Thanks for your interest, and for your kind words about my stories!

Abraxan

Meg posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 3:05pm for Chapter 01

Great "first" chapter! I was able to pick back up from ToD without rereading, as you included just enough to tickle my memory without making this whole chapter a recap.

Very interested in seeing where this goes.

Thanks much,

Meg

Abraxan replied:

Yay!   Yeah, I hoped the references from ToD and "Beginnings" (which may be in a future chapter,  I don't remember) would be enough to refresh the reader's mind without belaboring anything.   Glad it worked for you! And I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter!

Did you notice in my author's   note that my original novel, "Star Sons: Dawn of the Two" will be published soon?   You can read a sample chapter at www.whspubs.com.   I think my fanfic readers will enjoy it!

Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 2:46pm for Chapter 01

*chuckle* Nice one, there, that flesh's out bits from the year after the "final battle". I'd imagine that "de-compressing" is going to take Harry time and likely be quite traumatic as all of what he surpressed now bubbles forth, stronger for having festered.

It's an interesting examination of him.

Abraxan replied:

You're right, it's going to take him some time to heal, now that he can finally, for the first time in his life really, RELAX - well, "relax" to some extent, anyway.   :)   I'm glad you're finding it interesting!   Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

DJ posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 12:12pm for Chapter 01

Congratz on your book I will look forward to it. Also now that all 7 canon books are out it is official it should be The Refiner’s Fire & The Time of Destiny insteed of HBP & DH yours were better and made more sence. Thanks for this new bit well done as always.

Abraxan replied:

LOL!   Thanks for the vote of confidence!!   I hope you'll consider buying my original novel, "Star Sons: Dawn of the Two" which will be available on Amazon.com soon!   I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter!

Abraxan

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 9:59am for Chapter 01

Very nice start here, and going to bne interesting to see how bad it gets before something gives, either on Harry or for the others that seems to be driving him to distraction or worse.

Abraxan replied:

Thanks a lot!   Yeah, it's interessting to see how far someone can go before they break.   I hope you'll enjoy the rest of the story!

Abraxan

Kal posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 7:43am for Chapter 01

Very nice. Different from your other stand-alones in that it feels very unfinished. Great set-up for post-war short story if you wanted to do it.
Loved Dobby's interactions w/ HP. Ginny and Herms are not really onscreen enough for further comment.

Abraxan replied:

This isn't a stand-alone - it's a chaptered fic that runs about 35 chapters (I'm still revising the novel, although it is finished, so the chaptering may change but it IS a full novel).

Glad you enjoyed it!

Abraxan

Wolfric posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 7:16am for Chapter 01

This looks promising. I'm interested in how Harry overcomes his burdens. It seems like he has many. Maybe he should learn how to use his pensive without damaging his mind; it doesn't seem likely that he would suffer the refiner's fire a second time. Thanks for writing. W.

Abraxan replied:

Thanks a lot!  

Abraxan

Marvin posted a comment on Wednesday 5th December 2007 7:07am for Chapter 01

Not bad.
Really. Good style, no mistakes, good characterization.
Fitting!
Greetings
Marvin

Abraxan replied:

Thanks very much - have you read my other stories?   This one's the third novel in the series, and there are several ficlets in the series as well.   Check them out if you've missed them!

Thanks for writing!

Abraxan