Content Harry Potter

Reviews

ghostchicken posted a comment on Tuesday 10th February 2009 6:07am for Chapter 22

He's on a crusade. This might be interesting. I still feel so bad for Harry and Ginny. She's going to have a stroke when he tells her this latest development. But I can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve concerning Ministry house-elves...

Abraxan replied:

Yup, he's on a crusade - it may take a while before things come to fruition though!   Stay tuned!

Abraxan

Patches posted a comment on Wednesday 16th April 2008 7:24am for Chapter 22

Well at least Harry and Ginny are moving on about the restrictions the Board of Govenors has imposed on them. At least they can be themselves in Harry's quarters and at Grimald Place and they haven't had to change their wedding plans. I think it helped that Harry used Lockhart as an example of what a bad teacher could do without restrictions. I'm glad Harry has found a way to deal with that attitude. That was a surprise to find Hermione in the locker room. Harry handled it well and was able to tease Hermione a little. Ron was upset but that stands to reason. I think it will be good for Hermione and Ron to have their own place. It makes them feel more in control of their lives. Harry's suggestion that they use some of the extra furniture at Grimald Place to furnish their apartment was good. That way when they do furnish their home they can decide what they want without extra expense in the meantime. Hermione of course is looking out for Dobby's best interest. Dobby will like the fact that he has more work to do and that he will be paid.
By the way. What happened to the conversation between the Minister and Harry about the Ministry houseelves at the end of chapter 22? I was wondering what happened with that. Thanks for writing. I really like this story and I look forward to more soon. pms

Abraxan replied:

Everybody wants to know what happened between Harry and the Minister about the elves - well, you know the wheels of government NEVER move quickly!   LOL!   You'll just have to wait and see what happens!   Glad you enjoyed the chapter!

Abraxan

Minerva Granger posted a comment on Monday 14th April 2008 12:21pm for Chapter 22

Perfect! I just hope that Amelia is of the same mind as Harry is, about the Elves.

Abraxan replied:

Thanks!   Glad you liked it!

Abraxan

Carol Layland posted a comment on Friday 11th April 2008 2:24pm for Chapter 22

Hi, Please accept my apology for this oh so late review and the fact that I will cover the whole of the existing story so far. I have just now gotten my sight back to normal after 3 surgeries and am now back up on the web and allowed to use my computer. Any way, I love this story and the way it fits into the other two books that you have written. I am so much of a fan of H.P. and the fanfiction authors that are keeping him alive that I am thrilled with this new story line just as you are writing it. Please keep it comming.

Abraxan replied:

Apology accepted!   And I'm glad your eyesight is normal again!   Yay!   I'm glad you're enjoying the story!   Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

fallingmonkey3 posted a comment on Thursday 10th April 2008 8:14am for Chapter 22

Nice chapter Abraxan. It's really cool how Harry always stands up for those who are mistreated, enslaved, and abused. He really is a good man. I hope that the sworn statement from Marcus is enough to keep the Hogwarts board off of his back... It might not be though... Can't wait to find out what Harry's planning for the house-elves... Great job!

Abraxan replied:

Yeah, he still stands up for the downtrodden, bless his heart.   Glad you enjoyed the chapter!

Abraxan

Victor1 posted a comment on Thursday 10th April 2008 5:45am for Chapter 22

Aaah! This was too short!

Can't wait for the next installment!

:D

Abraxan replied:

Thanks!

Abraxan

bookaholic_au posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 6:22pm for Chapter 22

Well, what to say. This chapter was excellent and ended poignantly. I rather enjoyed your comments about fame, though I struggle to accept Marcus' logic that Harry's fame should win him priviledges, though I suppose that could just be my culture.

Although I do mean what I said above, what I am really reviewing about is your book, which has arrived at long last. I will copy most of this review onto Amazon.com for your ratings, but noticed parallels between your stories that I thought might better be discussed here.

I did notice the reference to 'Toads in the Loo,' which was particularly memorable. I got a few strange looks when I laughed out loud. I've recently been attending a class on English literature that has somewhat changed my perspective on the heroic genre. In the course of this class we read a segment of a book deconstructing the hero genre which got me interested. The author commented on how most hero stories are written focused on the hero (usually male) and female characters are noticed only in thier relationship to the hero. She argued that these portrayals support partriarchal values in our society and that one way to modify our society would be to subvert these popular stories. As an example, she referred to Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea 'trilogy' commenting that the first three books reinforce this message unintentionally, while the fourth, Tehanu, subverts it by using the perspective of a woman (the love interest). This comment is not meant to be seen as a criticism but as a suggestion, many fantasy greats (including Rowling) do not seem to do this.

Sometimes things seem a little unclear, like in the fight scene outside the village, I wondered why the boys did not spirit the village away by portal or why Ethan did not 'lose his temper.' (I do love the way you did that, for some people it seems almost true in reality). Personally, I feel that by not going into possible feelings of guilt you normalise violence, but that is a moral objection, and not directly related to your writing.

Another thing that seemed odd was how you talked about the boys childhood. Australia has a strong 'cowboy' culture out back, (though ours are jackaroos and jillaroos for some insane reason), and one of the characteristics (so it seems to a city girl) is that they are uncomplaining. Although you didn't write in first person, it did at times seem like the 'narrator' was the two boys, which made any references to their childhood seem complaining and minimise the effects, although that could just be an element of your culture that didn't translate well into my world.

Thank you for a hugely entertaining read, I look forward eagerly to the next in the series.

Abraxan replied:

I'm glad that you enjoyed Star Sons!   thanks for your comments!

Abraxan

jilumasam posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 2:59pm for Chapter 22

It sounds as though Peabody really, really doesn't appreciate Harry at all. You gotta wonder what sort of grudge he is holding against Harry though....

The part about the house elves...sweet....

Liz

Abraxan replied:

I think perhaps Peabody got up on the wrong side of the bed - or something!   :)   Glad you liked the part about the house-elves!

Abraxan

takon65 posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 1:30pm for Chapter 22

Go Harry! House-elves are people too!

Abraxan replied:

:)

Abraxan

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 10:15am for Chapter 22

Heh, Harry will go out of his way to help somebody or something no matter the circumstances at times, if he thinks that it's an unfair situation. Going to be curious to see what happens next time, and what should be an interesting next meeting with the board.

Abraxan replied:

Yup, Harry still has his "hero-thing," going out of his way to help others.    Glad you liked it!

Abraxan

Deborahsu posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 9:12am for Chapter 22

I do look forward to seeing what Harry is doing about the house elves--and what the Board decided about his marriage and behavior!

Abraxan replied:

You should learn more in the next chapter!

Abraxan

kate19 posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 7:59am for Chapter 22

love, i absolutely love the House Elves!! so cute!! and i realy like the fact that Harry is doing dsomething about it. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter!! bye

Abraxan replied:

Thnaks a lot!

Abraxan

DJ posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 7:45am for Chapter 22

many thanks for a mood lifter on a bad day. Also I love your book.

Abraxan replied:

You love my book?   YAY!   Please leave a review on Amazon.com or BN.com!   Thanks!

Abraxan

Wolfric posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 4:53am for Chapter 22

Guilderoy Lockhart would have found a way to make this problem go away; so would Lucius Malfoy. Harry of course would not use the same techniques as either of them but he needs to express the power of his personality. A few more years of experience would no doubt help him. It is possible to be a good person and not be a door mat. He needs to be more objective in valuing himself and others. I'm sure Ginny will help tilt the scale the other direction. I seem to be rambling a bit here. Thanks for writing. W.

Abraxan replied:

The thing to remember here is that he's just barely past being a kid, and his life experiences are a bit warped compared to the average person.   A few more years of experience will very definitely help him, you're right.  

Abraxan

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Wednesday 9th April 2008 4:49am for Chapter 22

*Laughs* Ohh, I like this chapter and I suspect the Board isn't going to care for the supportive response, for Harry, that they get from Marcus. The info Harry's getting from the House elves and then passing to Madame Bones should get an "interesting" reaction as she's always come across as a fair-minded lady fully on the Light's side. What should get a *really* interesting reaction is if she asks him what the meeting he was called to attend was about. If she finds out, I daresay she'll make her feelings quite evident.

BTW, the scene with the receptionist was a nice bit of levity to balance the serious nature of the rest of the chapter.

Abraxan replied:

I'm glad you liked the scene withthe receptionist!   You're the only one to mentoin it so far, but I thought some humor would b ehelpful in this chapter.   Glad you liked it

Abraxan