Content Harry Potter

Reviews

Mihir posted a comment on Wednesday 10th November 2010 7:40am for Chapter 07 - Flight

*£^^"%&!*%###

What did you kill the Ashers off for?!

*more cursing and swearing*

Anyway, why didn't they just Reparo the glass shards? It would repair the windows and glasses ... they would have something to store water in then ...

Kuronosa posted a comment on Wednesday 17th February 2010 1:04am for Chapter 07 - Flight

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why di you have to kill off Casey!!!! I liked her....

I guess it's so that Harry and Ginny can get together....oh fine, have your H/G ship....I was looking forward to a very nice Harry/OC story....

Tammy Driver posted a comment on Wednesday 2nd September 2009 11:50pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

You meanie!!! Why'd you have to go and kill Casey and her family for?!?!?!?

Abraxan replied:

I created them in order to kill them off.   There are very good reasons for why I did that.   Casey is gone but not forgotten - she even plays a role in the sequel to this story.   And so many people protested her death that I used her name and personality in a character in my original novel, "Star Sons:   Dawn of the Two" - and I won't kill her off there, but in this story, she served her purpose best by dying.

ImUpToNoGood posted a comment on Friday 8th May 2009 9:10am for Chapter 07 - Flight

I was expecting this. First, Voldemort would not let a Muggle family live that was close to Harry if he could do something about it, and if he knew it would hurt Harry. He knew the ADDRESS! Why didn't the Order realize that, and protect the shop, and their home? Is it because they really only focussed on protecting Harry? That confusted me.

Second, the title -- Refiner's fire-- made it clear that Harry would be going through some pain in this fic. Refiners fire is hot enough to destroy impurities in the metal to make it stronger, like hardship can make a person stronger. (Or break them. but we know Harry is strong).

I think I'll miss the uncle more than Casey. He helped Harry discover a gift that had nothing to do with Voldemort. I wanted Harry to have the joy of that job, of doing something with his own hands and creativity that had nothing to do with prophesies, or being the Boy Who Lived.

Now, even if he continues with his art, it will always be tarnished for him by his belief that his choice to work at the shop, to connect with that family, had caused their deaths.

Kinda sad that it's now going in the direction of Harry / Ginny... I hope that Ginny develops the strength to make her an equal before they get together. It's one of the reasons I read slash: so few authors can write a strong woman partner to Harry without making her into a controlling shrew. I think part of that is from canon, we never really got to see Ginny grow up (only a little in the DA), and Hermione was always a bit bossy. It frustrates me. If you manage a relationship of equals, you'll be doing well.

Abraxan replied:

Wow, interesting review, thoughtful and well-said!   You're right, Voldie would attack if he knew about the address.   And you're right, the Order was focused on Harry, not on his neighbors.   And none of them expected Harry's job to wind up reported on in the media.

I knew exactly what I was doing when I named this fic.   I'm a professional bronze sculptor and also make jewelry and I know what a refiner's fire does.   And all the HP fics (canon anyway) have Harry going through some pain. That's what makes him strong.

My Ginny, as you may have discovered by now, does become strong enough to be his equal and a proper mate for him.   You're right, JKR didn't show her becoming what she needed to be to be Harry's mate.   But JKR doesn't write romantic relationships well anyway.

I'm so glad you liked the uncle!   I modeled him after my father, and what Doug did, my father did many times - taking young people under his wing and helping them get a good start in life, just as Doug did for Harry.   I loved giving Harry a job or hobby that will give him joy all his life (you'll see if you keep reading my stories) that was completely separate from the wizarding world.

I hope you enjoy the rest of my stories!

Abraxan

Concealed Convict posted a comment on Thursday 12th March 2009 11:48am for Chapter 07 - Flight

One question: why? The start of this story was great and I really liked the Asher characters. I'd like to start insulting you but that would be rude. Anyways, I would've preferred to see a good Harry/OC fic like this was turning out to be rather than something else, but I'll read on. Definitely very enjoyable so far (apart from Casey dying!).

Thanks for writing
Concealed-Convict

Abraxan replied:

I created Casey in order to kill her off - seriously, I did.   She's gone but not forgotten - she will always be an influence in Harry's life.   I hope you keep reading.  

BTW, the outcry over Casey's death led me to resurrect her in my original novel series, "Star Sons: Dawn of the Two" which you can find on Amazon.com by searching on my name, Lynda Sappington.   I've kept her name and personality and changed her looks   a bit and her family - she's now magical and an only child and has different parents, but she's the same sweet Casey otherwise.

Abraxan

Dragnew posted a comment on Monday 12th January 2009 1:32pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

I really like the film scene. Ron is very in character, and I really enjoy the bits of interaction we see between the trio and Casey.

And here it is, the moment I've been dreading. Even on my third re-read, I still get sad when some of my favourite OCs in fanfiction are forcibly shuffled off their mortal coil.

Again, I'm repeating myself, but you do a brilliant Remus. I like him far more here than I did in Deathly Hallows. The same goes for Ginny. She's a very strong person here.

Poor Harry. Life doesn't treat him very well, does it? At least we know that he has the comfort of Ginny in his near future.

Abraxan replied:

Thank you so much!   Yeah, I didn't like what JKR did with Remus at all.   He wasn't the man he should've been in canon.   And she NEVER developed Ginny into someone who would interest a complex character like Harry other than saying she was pretty and showing a little bit of her temper.

Nope, life doesn't treat Harry very well, not until he beats Voldie.   Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

RockBiter posted a comment on Sunday 31st August 2008 4:54pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

I was just checking back to that first review, and what a pleasant surprise to find you had replied.

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this story. I had a notion things might turn out badly with Casey, and it looks like the excitement is beginning. I like this very much.

I think I remember reading that this is your first ff. You have a real flare for believable dialogue.

Abraxan replied:

I'm glad you think my dialogue is believable - thanks!   It's my first fanfic in 16 years - I started writing fiction in the late 1980's-early '90's, writing stories for the Starman (TV series based on the movie) fandom.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the story!   Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

Sond posted a comment on Monday 28th July 2008 5:07am for Chapter 07 - Flight

Damn, for a minute I thought you were gonna kill off Molly and Casey in one paragraph.

Too bad Casey had to go, it's probably the only OC ever in a fanfic I really liked. I'm a Harry/Ginny fan but for once I wouldn't have mind that they didn't end up together :)

Anyway you'll probably have a very good reason for killing her so early in the story (allthough I do hope that the reason is bigger than just the H/G relationship) so I'm looking forward to reading on.

Sammy

Abraxan replied:

Yup, I had a really good reason for doing what I did, when I did - keep reading and you'll find out!   And I got such a huge outcry over killing Casey off that I resurrected her character in my original novel, "Star Sons - Dawn of the Two" now available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble's websites.   Just do a search for "Lynda Sappington" and you'll find it.   She appears about 2/3 of the way through this book, then becomes a regular cast member in the next two books of what I currently see as a 3 book series.  

Glad you're enjoying it!

Abraxan

Daily Prophet Reporting posted a comment on Thursday 24th July 2008 11:42pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

First of all, thank you for replying to my previous reviews. It's nice know you're still interested in readers' input on this story even years later and I certainly appreciate your insight. I'll try to keep that as a motivator to keep me reviewing fairly regularly.

And, in that vein, I've got to give you credit. You weren't afraid to be cutthroat and reverse the tone of your story completely. It might be tragic, but it also shows me that this story has plenty of emotional depth and a plot that can go in multiple directions in a hurry. For a serious fic, I'll take that over something predictably pleasant any time.

It also throws open a whole bunch of directions for you to take this. An angry Harry, a determined Harry or a withdrawn Harry would all be logical follow-ups to this kind of emotional trauma and all bring very different plot potential. I like the fact that I can't read you well enough to know yet -- something I don't find nearly as much as I'd like in fics these days -- though it's rather obvious the contended Harry we saw in the last few chapters is gone for at least a while.

That said, you didn't waste any time getting Ginny to the forefront. She's right there when Harry needs her, just like she was in OotP, and that, plus a lot of time, is what it's going to take for there to be a believable romance developing out of the mess you've created. That -- plus Molly's rather unsubtle comments in the last chapter -- tell me you were laying the groundwork right from when Ginny first came on screen.

As for poor Casey, like I said last time, such is the fate of fringe characters -- and especially original characters. It was easy to like her because, you're right, she was the right character for Harry at the time, but you also created her in a way that made it impossible for her to play a continuing role. So, more power to you for getting all you could out of her and then getting her out of the way.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble without really getting across what I want to say, so I think I'll leave it at that. But thanks again for surprising me and for all your hard work.

-KC

Abraxan replied:

Thank you for your lovely review!   One of the things I found seriously lacking in JKR's work was any credible reason for Ginny to end up as Harry's soul-mate and wife, which is where I could see she was going with Ginny's character.   But she didn't lay the groundwork for that relationship, nor did she build it up in any believeable way.   When she finally did get around to waking Harry up to the fact that he's attracted to Ginny (OotP), she had everything but that initial kiss happen "off-camera," which I found annoying.   We didn't get to see their relationship evolve, and I think that cheated the readers.   Of course, she's writing for kids, and I'm an adult, so that's why my stories are geared for adults - I'm writing what I wish she'd written.  

I'm glad you agree that Casey is exactly what Harry needed at that point in his life - but no further.   Harry might have gone on and married her, and a lot of readers would've loved that, but she really wasn't a "life partner" type of person, not for Harry, not the way Ginny is.

Yup, I could've taken this story in a lot of directions - and I did.   You'll see as you keep reading.   Nobody REAL is "one way" all the time, so Harry will be angry, determined, withdrawn, as you said, and a lot of other things as well throughout the story.   I want my characters to be real, living, breathing people, so Harry won't be perfect, he'll make mistakes, he'll lose his temper, he'll be sweet and charming, and he'll be everything Harry Potter would or could be in real life.   The same is true for the other major characters, and even some of the minor ones.

I'm glad you can't read me well enough to predict what I'm going to do with the story!   I get a big kick out of keeping readers guessing, so I think you'll find quite a few surprises as you go along.   Like you, I hate to read "predictable" stories (or watch predictable films - my hubby and I make a game of coming up with what the characters in a TV show will say next, and 99 out of 100 times, I'm right, so I'm pretty darned good at predicting such things).   I'm delighted when there are layers and nuances and things that surprise me in stories, and that's how I try to write. Sometimes I succeed! :D

Casey's death is a catalyst for things to come.   She wasn't put in the story on a whim - she's an important part of Harry's life even after she's gone.   She won't be forgotten.   She's even remembered near the end of The Time of Destiny, long after her death (and not in a morbid way - you'll see).  

I don't think I told you this yet - if I did, forgive the repetition - but there was such an outcry over her death that I decided she was worth resurrecting, so her personality and first name live on in a character in my original novel series, "Star Sons" - she appears about 2/3 of the way through the first book and is an important character in the other books in the series, although this time she's magical (and has a different family, different nationality, even different coloring, but it's Casey's spirit that makes her the same girl as in RF).

I always answer reviews except for those that simply say "UPDATE!"   LOL!   So have fun reviewing my stories - I'll keep answering!

Abraxan

cpd6000 posted a comment on Wednesday 16th July 2008 7:26pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

Could you do like a alternate story where Casey doesn't die? She was the best OC i've ever read, and I can tell you'll put Harry with Ginny, she can't compare personality-wise to Casey, I don't know what they look like, they're in a story.

Abraxan replied:

Casey has been so popular with my readers that I've resurrected her in my original novels, the Star Sons saga.   She appears about two-thirds of the way through the first book, "Star Sons - Dawn of the Two" (available on Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com and in your local bookstores if you take the ISBN number, title and my name, Lynda Sappington, and ask them to order it).   She has a larger part in the second and third Star Sons novels.   I changed her coloring and last name, and I didn't kill off her parents this time - and she's magical in the Star Sons books, too.   But she has   the same sweet, supportive personality, as well as being a bit feisty, brave, compassionate and wise beyond her years.

To answer your original question, no, I won't be writing an AU of any of my stories.   Casey's gone in Harry's world.   Now she lives in Ethan and Jake's world in the Star Sons books.

Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Wednesday 21st May 2008 10:47am for Chapter 07 - Flight

Good chapter but really big bummer. I liked Casey and her family.

gunny

Abraxan replied:

A lot of people really liked Casey and her family.   I've gotten so much response to Casey that she's now a character in my original novel, "Star Sons - Dawn of the Two" and will  be in the other books in that series as well.   And she's gone but not forgotten even in these stories.   Keep reading - she's an important part of Harry's life at times, even after she's gone.

Abraxan

Mionefan posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd January 2008 10:30am for Chapter 07 - Flight

Awww! You shouldn't have killed Casey! I know it's Harry / Ginny story, but I was just getting into preferring Casey over Ginny.

Abraxan replied:

If it's a Harry/Ginny story, Casey has to leave at some point!   And she may be gone, but she's certainly not forgotten.   She's remembered here and there in both Refiner's and Time of Destiny.   And  she got such strong reader response that I've included her in my original novels (slightly different appearance, etc., but still with Casey's sweet personality).   Thanks for writing!

Abraxan

razor_M posted a comment on Wednesday 19th December 2007 11:19am for Chapter 07 - Flight

you're an asshole, that was complete bullshit!!! why the fuck'd you do that!?!

Abraxan replied:

I did it because it's important to the story.   And consider this your warning.   If you ever use profane or abusive language again, I'll ban you from my site.

Abraxan

Phoenix_Joey posted a comment on Thursday 22nd November 2007 3:54pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

eeh...
ok i guess

KingsleyforPM posted a comment on Sunday 2nd September 2007 10:22am for Chapter 07 - Flight

how could u?!?!?!

Abraxan replied:

It's all part of the overall plot - you'll understand if you keep reading.

Abraxan

Jdnokc posted a comment on Friday 22nd June 2007 11:06am for Chapter 07 - Flight

how stupid i think im done with this story

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Friday 30th June 2006 2:49am for Chapter 07 - Flight

Wow - I really wasn't expecting all this darkness but I love it. Fantastic chapter. So much fun to read.

Abraxan replied:

Voldemort is alive and Harry has to be prepared to fight him to the death and you didn't expect a dark story???   :-)   Glad you're enjoying it!

Abraxan

Victor1 posted a comment on Thursday 23rd February 2006 2:28pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

aww dang! i liked casey and her family a lot

even though i kind of knew this was coming

can't wait to read the rest

Abraxan replied:

Thanks! I'm glad you liked Casey and her family!

Abraxan

AK posted a comment on Thursday 8th December 2005 3:43pm for Chapter 07 - Flight

Hey!
It is always cool to read a good-to-be authors first book. One can really see all the evolution. For example your first chapter in this story is rather bad: the story line is cool but the style is really lacking, but as you go on you become better and better. This chapter was very nice, but did you REALLY have to kill her so soon? Poor Harry... oh well life must go on!

Wooster posted a comment on Tuesday 29th November 2005 12:25am for Chapter 07 - Flight

I always thougth it was cool how shape-shifters like werewolves could heal more quickly b/c their bodies were used to changing.
Oh god, just when I was beginning to LOVE Casey despite the fact I KNEW she would die. Darn you!!! Darn you for making her so...likable! Blast. *cries a little* ok, I'm a bit better. Poor Harry though...

On a happier note: Your fanfic reminded me TWICE of other fanfics I've read. I think you'd like them. They are both on fanfiction.net and by Mizaya. One's called "The Muggle Cinnamon" and is about Ron going to the movies...and making a big deal about the soda and candy. The other is called "Playing Chess with Mrs. Weasley" and your story reminded me of it when Harry said he never won at chess unless Harry is distracted. It's about Mrs. Weasley beating Ron at chess by distracting him.