Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next


Ginny gasped with amazement as the phoenix set her down in the living room of Number 12 Grimmauld Place the next morning.   The phoenix changed back into Harry Potter, whose face split in a broad grin as he looked around his house.

"Dobby!   Winky!   I’m . . .I’m home!" Harry called, calling this house his "home" for the very first time.

"Harry Potter, sir!   Ginny Wheezy!   We isn’t hearing you knock!" Dobby panted, having raced up the stairs from the kitchen.

"We didn’t knock, we just popped in," Harry said, smiling happily at the house-elf.   "I can’t tell you what a shock it was to see this room!"   During Harry’s summertime stay at Grimmauld Place, the house-elves had cleaned industriously and begun removing curtains, wallpaper, Slytherin-style décor and so on.   When Harry had left for school, the house was still in a turmoil, but now it looked and felt like a gracious, well-kept home.

Dobby’s face fell.   "Dobby is sorry, sir!   What would Harry Potter like changed?"

"Nothing!     I’m sorry, I didn’t say that right.   It was a fantastic surprise to see what you’ve done with the place!   The shock was just at seeing how bright and beautiful everything is!"   He put a comforting hand on the house-elf’s shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.   "You and Winky have done wonders with the place, Dobby.   Thanks."

Dobby’s face lit up with a huge smile.   "Dobby and Winky wishes to please Harry Potter, sir.   We is happy you likes what we has done here."

Harry looked around, his eyes bright and happy, smiling at the miraculous transformation in the house.   No longer gloomy and grim, the rooms were now painted in light, airy, elegant colours.   The natural wood on the window and door trim, the staircase and the floors was still the rich dark walnut it had been, but it had been cleaned and polished until it shone with a lovely satiny light.   The walls were a creamy pale yellow, the curtains deep scarlet with gold patterns worked in metallic thread, with golden sheer curtains filtering the sunlight through the sparkling clean windows.   The brass chandelier had been buffed to a soft lustre.   Bright, cheerful paintings of flowers and country scenes filled this room.  

In the library across the hall, Harry could see the books had all been cleaned — no more dust-covered tomes in there — and the walls painted, the curtains replaced, the chandelier and wall sconces polished.   Quidditch posters featuring the Gryffindor team and the Chudley Cannons brightened the library’s walls.   A huge, beautifully decorated Christmas tree stood in the corner, twinkling with small lights that turned out to be glittery insects spelled to stay in place.

"Cool!   And what a beautiful Christmas tree!   Wow, I wouldn’t have thought of putting the Quidditch posters in here, but I like it a lot," Harry said, following Ginny into the room and looking around.

"Harry Potter seemed to like this room best, so Winky and Dobby thought he’d like his Quidditch pictures in here," Dobby said.

"I think it’s brilliant!" Harry replied, grinning at the elf.   "What else have you done?"

"The drawing room, several of the bedrooms, and some other areas," Dobby replied eagerly.

As he started to follow the elf toward the drawing room, Harry said, "The others should be arriving soon."

"We is ready for them, Harry Potter, sir.   We has food prepared, and we has decorated the drawing room for the wedding."

Harry’s heart lurched a bit at the idea of the house-elves decorating for the wedding.   Knowing Dobby’s way of decorating, Harry pictured Christmas baubles with pictures of Remus and Tonks on them dangling from the ceiling, but he didn’t say anything.   When he nervously opened the drawing room door, he laughed out loud in delight.   "Dobby, this is wonderful!"

Ginny slid under Harry’s arm, which was still holding the door, and spun around, taking everything in.   This room also had creamy yellow walls and deep scarlet drapes, but it also had cream-coloured candles floating in bubbles all around the ceiling, giving off a soft, romantic light.   Scarlet ribbons were festooned from the chandelier, each wall sconce and the centre of each curtain rod.   Mistletoe hung over the doorway, and greenery interspersed with scarlet and gold ornaments decorated the mantle of the fireplace.   A handsome plaque with the Gryffindor seal was centred over the fireplace.   Paintings featuring country scenes graced the walls, along with several of Harry’s mosaics.   A delicate-looking table stood near the fireplace, bearing two small brass candlesticks and a large one centred between them, all set on a handmade lace tablecloth.   A runner of sheer gold fabric with a large gold tassel on each end ran down the centre of the table, the tassels hanging over the edges of the table elegantly.   Chairs had been placed in rows facing toward the small table.   The chair closest to the centre aisle on each row had a scarlet bow with small gold tassels hanging from it on the aisle-side of the chair.   The worn carpet had been replaced by a new Oriental-style rug with a simple but elegant pattern, scarlet flowers in an oval medallion in the centre and clustered in each corner of the pale gold rug.   Everything gleamed with a soft, lovely lustre.  

"This is the most beautiful room I’ve ever seen," Ginny breathed.   "It’s gorgeous!"

Dobby was looking at Harry seriously.   Harry finally stopped perusing the room and looked back at him.   "Dobby, you and Winky have outdone yourselves.   This is spectacular!   What a lovely place for a wedding.   Thank you."

"Harry Potter is pleased?" Dobby asked seriously.

"More than pleased.   It’s brilliant!   I would never have believed it could turn out like this," Harry said.   He pulled Ginny into his arms.   "You and your mum deserve a lot of credit too, you know," he said, kissing her soundly.

"It was fun!" Ginny said.   "I honestly didn’t know it would look this good, though.   I’m just . . . shocked!"

Her statement made Harry laugh.   Just then, they heard a knock at the front door.

"Honey, I’m home!" Ron called as he entered, laughter in his voice.   "Hi, Winky!   Ah, there you are, Harry!" he added when he saw Harry appear in the drawing room doorway.   He stood looking around, his eyes wide in amazement.   "WOW!   The place looks great!"

"Oh, my!" Hermione said, her mouth hanging open in surprise.   "I had no idea. . . ."

"That’s what we’ve just been saying," Harry said with a laugh, his arm around Ginny.  

"Dobby, Winky, it’s brilliant!" Ron said, patting the house-elves on the back.   "Good work!"

"Thank you, Ron Wheezy, sir!" Dobby said, delighted with their reaction.   Winky ducked her head and blushed, a pleased smile on her face.   "Winky and Dobby are glad our work pleases Harry Potter and his friends."

"May Winky be excused?" she asked Harry quietly.   "Winky has more work to do in the kitchen."

"Yes, go ahead," Harry said, smiling at her.

"Your work pleases me a lot, Dobby!" Ron said, continuing the conversation with a grin at the house elf.   "It’s a Gryffindor house now!   That door knocker and door knob are brilliant!"

"We flashed inside the house and didn’t see them," Harry said, opening the front door.   "Wow!   You found gold Gryffindor lions, Dobby!"

"They is bronze, Harry Potter, sir.   Gold is too soft and the detail would soften over time.   These bronze ones will look good for many years.   We has replaced nearly all the door knobs, drawer pulls and candelabrum in the house with either brass or bronze Gryffindor ones.   Dobby and Winky is not quite finished with that work yet."

"It’s brilliant, really, Dobby," Harry assured him.   "You’re going to love the drawing room and library — they’re gorgeous," he told Ron and Hermione.

"What about our rooms?   Have they done anything up there?" Ron asked.

"Dunno.   Let’s go see!" Harry said, and the four of them trooped up the stairs, followed closely by Dobby.

Harry opened the door to his and Ron’s room and grinned.   Gone were the two small and lumpy beds they’d been using.   Now there were two grand four-posters similar to those at Hogwarts, as well as two handsome wardrobes replacing the beaten-up dresser they’d had to use before.   The walls were painted, new curtains hung, and Quidditch players waved at them from posters on the walls.   A plush rug with a simple geometric design in red and gold was on the floor.

"Wow!" Ginny said, looking around.   She looked at Hermione and said, "Let’s see our room!"

The girls’ room had two big four-posters like those in the boys’ room, two wardrobes and two dressing tables with big mirrors.   Quidditch posters and floral paintings hung on the walls.   A beautiful floral rug similar to the one in the drawing room, but more colourful, was on the floor.

"Fantastic!" Ginny cried, looking at the dressing tables, which were far more elegant than anything she’d ever seen.   "Where did you find these?"

"In a catalogue Dobby sent me," Harry said.   "I told him what I wanted, he sent me catalogues with those kinds of things, and I picked what I liked.   I like the furniture at Hogwarts a lot.   I hope you don’t mind that it resembles a dorm room."

"We don’t have nice dressing tables like these in our rooms," Hermione said, sitting down at one.

"Well, I’ve only been in the girls’ dorms once and then I was flying, trying to find Ginny," he reminded them with a laugh, "so I wasn’t paying much attention to the furniture."   He glanced at Ron, a sly grin on his face.  "I didn’t show you what the carpet in our room does."

"What’s it do, fly?" Ron said, laughing.

"Just about!   Come and see."   Harry led them back to the boys’ room.   "I haven’t had a chance to try it, of course, but when I saw this one in the catalogue, I thought it would be a good choice for us."   His eyes were twinkling as he looked at his best mate.   He pulled out his wand, pointed it at the rug and said, "Nuovo Partita."   Instantly, the geometric design morphed into a Quidditch pitch with fourteen players moving across it, one team in red and gold, the other in blue and silver.

"Gryffindor and Ravenclaw?" Ron said, his eyes bright with amusement.   "Why Ravenclaw?"

"Why not?   I certainly didn’t want Slytherin!" Harry chuckled.  

"Why not?   They’re our biggest rivals," Ron countered.

"I don’t want anything Slytherin left in this house, that’s all," Harry said with a shrug.   "I can add them later if I want.   Isn’t it brilliant, though?   You can either just let them play, or you can direct the play as the captain of one team, or you can take the place of one player with your wand."   He pointed his wand at the Gryffindor Seeker, who had messy black hair, and the player went zooming off wherever Harry’s wand pointed.

Ron pulled out his wand and pointed it at the red-haired Gryffindor Keeper.   "You had them put us on the team?   Wicked!   Look there’s Ginny!"   Ron’s Keeper hit the Quaffle back toward the red-haired Gryffindor Chaser, who caught it neatly and raced toward the Ravenclaw goal, her long plait flapping in the non-existent breeze as she flew.   "And she scores!" Ron yelled, jumping up and down in his excitement.  

"Does our rug do this too?" Ginny asked curiously.

"No, I’m sorry, but I could only manage one," Harry said with a "please forgive me" look in his eyes.   "And I thought you girls might enjoy playing along with us, anyway."

"That’s an amazing spell," Hermione said, sitting on the floor and smiling as the Quidditch game progressed.

"Yeah, it is.   You can change the teams, too.   I have these two as the primary teams, but I also have the Chudley Cannons and Puddlemere United.   The Puddlemere team has Oliver Wood as the Keeper," he said with a grin.   "For an extra fee, I could get more teams, but I thought four was enough to be going on with."

"Can you make Gryffindor play the Cannons?" Ron said eagerly.

"Yeah, I think so.   I’ll have to get the owner’s manual out to see how to do that, though," Harry said, grinning at his friend’s enthusiasm.

"Gryffindor versus the Cannons — that’s so cool!   Who do you think would win?" Ron said, his eyes dancing.

"Students against professionals?" Harry teased him.   "Who do you think would win?"

"Gryffindor!" Ron chortled, and gave Harry a high-five.

"Dobby, brilliant job on the rooms up here, really," Harry said as his friends continued to watch the game on the Quidditch rug.

"Dobby has remodelled the bathroom, as well," Dobby said.  "Only the one, so far.   Would Harry Potter like to see?"

"Yeah!" Harry said, following the elf out of the room.

"Where are you going?" Ron called.     He’d been concentrating on the game playing on the carpet and hadn’t listened to Harry’s conversation.

"Dobby’s going to show me what he’s done with the loo," Harry called from the hallway.   "Come and see, if you want."   His friends all dutifully got up and followed him.

The bathroom was brightly polished, all the surfaces gleaming beautifully.  

"I didn’t know this was a marble counter," Harry said in surprise looking at the luminous white counter.   It had been so encrusted with dirt and limescale from the water that it had appeared to be old porcelain.

"The bottom part of the walls is marble as well, not tile," Dobby said.  "Kreacher was a very bad house-elf to let it get so dirty you couldn’t tell it was marble."

"Wow," Ginny said, admiring the softly glowing walls.   "Beautiful."

"Yeah.   Good work, Dobby!" Harry said, and then his eyes fell on the basin.   "What’s this?"

"Dobby hopes you like it, sir," Dobby said nervously.  

The basin’s taps had been replaced.   Previously, it had been a spout with two attached handles, all of which looked like snakes.   Now, it was a Golden Snitch whose spread wings were the handles, the ball itself being the spout.   A golden broomstick was the flush handle on the toilet.   The room’s upper walls were painted a lovely sky blue, with Golden Snitches painted as a border along the top of the walls.   The bath now had a shower door with a Golden Snitch as the handle, the ball’s wings bent back to touch the doorframe.   Leaning into the bath, Harry saw that the taps had been replaced by a huge lion’s head as the spout, with golden Gryffindor lions facing each other as the handles.   The shower head was another lion, but with the ability to change the shower settings at a touch.   Golden spouts along the back wall of the tub had jewelled handles of varying colours, much like the Prefects’ bath tub at Hogwarts.

"This is the coolest bathroom I’ve ever seen," Harry said sincerely, "and that includes the Prefects’ bathroom at Hogwarts!"

"You is liking it, sir?" Dobby asked carefully.

"Absolutely!" Harry said.   "It’s wonderful!   Where did you find Snitch taps and all that?"

"There is a shop in Diagon Alley where you can order such things, Harry Potter, sir," Dobby explained.   "Dobby requested the catalogue and used some of the money from the sale of the silver door knobs to buy these things.   Dobby wanted to surprise Harry Potter."

"You did!   It’s great!"   Harry looked at the house elf, and saw a hint of worry in his eyes.   "And I did give you permission to use that money for whatever you needed for the house, Dobby.   You did very well.   I’m proud of you.   And grateful!   Thanks.   I mean that."

Dobby’s eyes lit up.   "Dobby is happy to please Harry Potter, sir!"

"You have pleased me very much indeed," Harry said sincerely.   "Did you paint the Snitches on the walls?"

"No, Dobby isn’t painting those — Winky is.   Winky is a good painter," Dobby said, showing obvious pride in his wife’s talents.

"Yes she is.   You’ve both done very well," Harry said with a huge grin.   He looked around the room again, amazed at how hard work, ingenuity and love had transformed the dark, nasty room it had been into a thing of both fun and beauty.

"Dobby hears people arriving.   Dobby will greet your guests," the elf said, then snapped his fingers and disappeared.

"I can’t wait to use this," Hermione said, admiring the bath.

"Me, too!" Ginny agreed.  

Harry had stepped out into the hall to see who had arrived.   "Your parents are here," he told Ron and Ginny.

"How did you lot beat us here?" Molly exclaimed as she hugged everyone.

"Harry flashed us here since I can’t Apparate," Ginny said, "and then Ron and Hermione Apparated.   You should see what Dobby and Winky have done with the house!   The bathroom is brilliant!   And the wedding decorations!"

"We haven’t seen those yet either," Hermione said eagerly.

"Let’s go," Ginny said, grabbing her mother’s and Hermione’s hands and calling "Girl stuff!" over her shoulder to Harry.

"How are you, Mr. Weasley?" Harry asked as he led his friends into the kitchen.   "Would you like something warm to drink?   It’s awfully cold out."

"Yes, some tea would be lovely," Arthur responded.   "Hello, Winky.   The house looks beautiful!"

"Yes, Winky, I can’t tell you how pleased I am with everything," Harry added.   "And you did a fantastic job of painting the Snitches upstairs!"   The elf blushed and dropped her eyes shyly, a happy smile on her face.

Before long, Remus and Tonks, Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape and Flitwick (who’d recently joined the Order), Mad-Eye Moody, Mundungus Fletcher, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Arabella Figg, Charlie, Bill, Fred and George Weasley, and other Order members arrived, filling the house with noise and laughter.   Tonks’dad, Ted, who was also a new member of the Order, seemed overwhelmed by the number of people who had come to his daughter’s wedding.   Tonks was swiftly whisked upstairs to the girls’ room, along with Ginny, Hermione and Molly, to get ready for the wedding.   Harry and Ron had already changed into their dress robes, ready to support Remus.   Remus was being teased a lot, and taking it very good-naturedly.   The house-elves served tea and biscuits to those who were waiting for the wedding ceremony to begin.

"So where are you going to honeymoon?" Arthur asked Remus.

"Rumania, actually.   There’s some research going on there I want to check into," Remus said with a smile.

"Research on what?"

"Lycanthropy. This researcher believes he’s developed a cure.   I’ve been in touch with him for months.   Harry and I were going to visit him this summer, but there was too much going on for us to be able to travel safely.   I think Tonks and I will be all right to travel now," Remus said with a smile.   "And she’s never been on holiday out of the country.   She’s quite excited about it."

"I imagine so!   A cure, you say?" Arthur said in amazement.

"We’ll see if it is or not," Remus replied cautiously, but an excited gleam was in his eye.

"Wonderful!   Oh, I hope it works for you!" Arthur said sincerely.   "So will Tonks be moving into your quarters at Hogwarts, or will you live somewhere else?"

"Harry invited us to live in this house, bless him.   It was such a kind offer, but we don’t want to impose on him.   Tonks and I have bought a small house in Hogsmeade."

"Hogsmeade?   Then you aren’t going to stay at Hogwarts at all anymore?" Arthur said.

"We’ll stay in my quarters sometimes, and I’ll certainly stay at school when she’s away on business, but it will be easier for her to Apparate to work from Hogsmeade.   I can walk from Hogwarts’ gates with no real problem, or I can fly in on my broom.   It will work out," Remus said confidently.

"I’ve never seen you so happy," Arthur said approvingly. "You’re simply glowing."

"Thanks.   She’s good for me," Remus said simply.

"Yes, I’ve noticed that," Arthur said with a smile.   "What’s her married name going to be, since ‘Tonks’ is her last name?  Are you going to call her ‘Nymphadora’?"

"No, she’d hex me for that," Remus said with a laugh.   "She’ll be ‘Tonks Lupin,’ if you can imagine that."

"It suits her," Arthur replied, smiling.

Molly came down the stairs and said, "It’s time!   Places, everyone!"

The guests moved into the drawing room, taking chairs wherever they wanted.   Remus, Harry and Ron stood to one side of the small table in front, looking nervous.   Harry kept checking his pocket for the ring.   Albus Dumbledore, resplendent in robes of cobalt blue with silver galaxies sewn in metallic thread, stood facing the crowd.   He would be officiating at the wedding in his position as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot.   With a wave of his wand, music filled the air.  

Molly Weasley opened the door of the drawing room and Hermione came slowly down the aisle, holding a small bouquet of red and yellow roses.   She was wearing Parvati’s scarlet dress robes from the Yule Ball, and had her hair up in a fancy concoction of curls, with small jewels sparkling here and there in her hair.   She moved to the opposite side of the table from the men, standing across from Ron.   She smiled into his eyes and his heart melted.

"Someday, this could be us," Ron thought, looking at her with eyes filled with love.

Ginny came next, her red mane pulled up into an elegant twist on the back of her head, with a few long tendrils spiralling down from the twist and spilling over her shoulders and down the back of her deep gold dress robes.   She, too, had jewels in her hair, which twinkled as she moved.   She kept her eyes on Harry from the moment she entered the room.   She held her bouquet in trembling hands, her heart full, wishing it were she and Harry getting married today.

Why couldn’t it be a double ceremony, or even a triple? she thought as she noticed the look on her brother’s face.   She felt a brief burst of anger at her youth, then settled her smile back on her face.   When we get married. . ., she thought, looking directly into Harry’s eyes as she settled into her place across from him.

Harry didn’t need his Legilimency to read Ginny’s thoughts, for the same ones were in his mind.   He, too, felt frustrated that she was so young.   It won’t be long, he vowed.  

The music swelled and Tonks and her father stood in the doorway.   As Tonks took her first step, Molly bent down and lifted the train of her new dress robes, filling them with air so it would appear she floated down the aisle.   Tonks’ hair was a long red mane similar to Ginny’s, now done up in a cascade of curls that were caught in a jewelled clip at the top of her head and tumbled tumultuously down her back.   Her wedding robes were palest ivory, with an illusion of stars winking all over them.   Her father wore dress robes of deep maroon and seemed to be fighting back tears as he led his daughter down the aisle.   Soon they stood in front of Dumbledore, and Remus stood next to them, warm smiles spreading over his and Tonks’ faces.

"Who gives this woman to be married?" Dumbledore asked in time-honoured tradition.

"I do," Ted said, then tenderly kissed Tonks on the cheek before putting her hand in Remus’s.   He sighed once as he smiled at the pair of them, then turned and sat down in the front row seat reserved for him.

"Dear friends," Dumbledore began with a benign smile and twinkling eyes, "we are gathered here in this beautiful place to celebrate the joining of two beautiful souls."   He waved his wand and the ceiling suddenly became the crystal clear night sky, galaxies whirling silently above them.   "The most powerful force in the entire universe is love.   Love has brought these two people together.   Love heals all wounds and forgives all wrongs.   Love trusts.   Love never fails.   Love stands through everything life throws at us.  These two people are publicly declaring their love for each other by the exchanging of vows and rings."   He turned his eyes to Tonks.   "Nymphadora Tonks, do you take this man to be your husband?   Do you promise to love and cherish him, to be faithful and true to him, to stand by his side no matter what happens?"

"Yes!" she said in a firm, determined voice, her face split in a huge grin.

"Remus Lupin, do you take this woman to be your wife?   Do you promise to love and cherish her, to be faithful and true to her, to stand by her side no matter what happens?"

"Yes, absolutely," Remus said, gazing at her intently.

"May I have the rings, please?"   Dumbledore waved his wand over the rings in Harry’s and Ginny’s open palms, Levitating them and giving them a halo of light so everyone could see them well.   "These rings are circles, unbroken.   They are a symbol of your love, which is endless, circling each other forever."   The two rings circled each other in mid-air, then linked together.   "The circle goes on forever, as does the love between two people whose souls are mated."   He separated the rings and plucked them out of the air, then handed Remus’s ring to Tonks.   "Place the ring on his hand and repeat after me."

Tonks held Remus’s left hand and started sliding the ring on his finger as she said what Dumbledore had.   "With this ring, I promise to be true to you, to love you, cherish you, and be your partner all of my life.   My soul and yours are one."

Then it was Remus’s turn.   He slid the simple gold band on Tonks’s finger, and vowed, "With this ring, I promise to be true to you, to love you, cherish you, and be your partner all of my life.   My soul and yours are one."

"The wands, please," Dumbledore said quietly.   Remus and Tonks pulled out their freshly polished wands and turned toward each other, touching the tips together.

Dumbledore waved his wand over the joined wands.   "These wands can never be used against each other.   They shall be partners in all that they do."

Remus and Tonks repeated, "These wands can never be used against each other.  They shall be partners in all that they do."   The wands were haloed in golden light as they spoke.   When the light faded, they lowered their wands and gazed deeply into each other’s eyes.

Dumbledore stepped aside, revealing the three candles behind him.  Tonks and Remus each passed a hand over a side candle, then lifted the now-lighted candles at the same time and lit the larger, central one together.   They looked at each other for a long moment as slow smiles spread across their faces.   They set the candles down and held hands again.

"And thus two souls become one in an unbreakable bond.   You may kiss your bride," Dumbledore said, grinning broadly, his eyes sparkling with joy.   When they finally broke apart, Dumbledore gently touched their shoulders and turned them toward the audience, then said, "May I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Remus Lupin!"   The guests all applauded, while Fred, George, Mundungus and Mrs. Figg whistled and stamped their feet in celebration and Molly and Minerva wiped happy tears from their eyes.

* * * * *

The party went on for hours.   Dobby and Winky had outdone themselves on the food, and had cleared the centre of the dining room floor to make it useful as a ballroom.   The wedding and reception were Harry’s present to Remus and Tonks.  

When the dancing began, the bride and groom danced alone in the centre of the floor while their friends applauded them.   Then Remus waited while Tonks danced with her dad in the Parents’ Dance.   Next, Harry danced with Tonks, Ginny with Remus, and then they switched partners, Remus with Tonks, Harry with Ginny, and the others joined them on the floor.  

The food was excellent, the music was lovely, and everyone was having a marvellous time.   Suddenly, Mundungus Fletcher turned into a large canary with a loud "pop."

Molly Weasley exploded as the room dissolved into laughter.   She stormed over to the twins and hissed, "Fred!   George!   Did you give Mundungus a Canary Cream?"

"He asked for it, Mum," George said, holding his sides as he laughed madly at the man, who was just beginning to moult, a bewildered but somehow pleased look on his face.

"What else have you planted in the buffet?" Molly demanded.

"Nothing, honest!" Fred said, holding his empty hands out as if that would prove his innocence.

"Why don’t I believe you?   Oh yeah, nearly twenty years of you lot pulling pranks, that’s why!" Molly growled.   She pointed her wand at a pocket George seemed to be protecting.   "Accio!" she cried, and a bag full of galleons flew into her hands.   "What’s this, fake galleons?"

Both twins were blushing.   "No, Mum," George said quietly as he held out his hand for the bag.   "It’s our present to Remus and Tonks.   We didn’t know what to buy them."

It was Molly’s turn to blush.   "Oh.   Well.   Um. . .I’m sorry, boys, it’s just that . . . well, with the Canary Cream and all. . . ."

"Dung asked for it, honest.   He wanted to see what it was like.   He’s planning to order some," Fred said helpfully.   George nodded his agreement.

"All right then," Molly said, handing George the money bag.   "That’s a lovely present, boys, truly.   I shouldn’t have mistrusted you so much."

"’S’OK, Mum," George said brightly.   "We forgive you."   Behind his back, as he and Fred planted twin kisses on their mum’s still-blushing cheeks, George signalled Ron to remove the Butterfly BonBons that they’d put on the buffet table just before Molly had come to that side of the room.

"In the umbrella stand," Ron whispered as he passed Fred a few moments later.

"Good one, Ron," Fred replied with a wink.

"And you, as well," Ron said, grinning in admiration for his brothers’ audacity as well as their ability to get away with things.

* * * * *

At last, the bride stood a few steps up the staircase, ready to throw her bouquet.   Hermione, Ginny, Mrs. Figg and Professor McGonagall stood waiting to see which of them would catch it.

Tonks made quite a production of getting ready to throw the bouquet.   She gave Harry a huge wink with her back turned toward Arthur and Molly, then tossed the bouquet over her shoulder toward the waiting ladies behind her.   It landed squarely in Ginny’s outstretched hands, making both her and Harry blush madly.

"No fair!   She plays Quidditch!   She can catch anything!" Mrs. Figg teased merrily.

"Yeah, that was a bit of an unfair advantage," Hermione said, grinning at her friend.

"It helps that I spelled it to go to her," Tonks said cheekily, then leaned down and kissed Ginny and then Hermione on the cheek.   "Thanks for supporting me, you two.   And I expect an invitation to your weddings, both of them!"

"You and Remus will be at the top of the list," Ginny promised.   "This was great fun. Congratulations and good wishes and all that kind of thing!"

"I know you’ll be happy!   I can’t wait to see your new house!" Hermione said.

"Thanks!   You lot are invited for the next Hogsmeade weekend, how’s that?" Tonks said.

"Great!" both girls said together, then laughed.

Tonks giggled as Remus whirled her away from the girls.

"Time to go, Mrs. Lupin," he said with a tender smile, his face glowing with delight in his beautiful bride.

"I’m with you, Professor," she said, taking his arm like a grand lady and following him to the door.   Ginny helped Tonks with her cloak while Harry helped Remus.  

"You kids behave yourselves now," Harry teased.   His face grew more serious, his love for his godfather shining in his eyes.   "I’m so happy for you."

"Thanks for everything, Harry," Remus said, pulling him into a hug.   "And no, we don’t plan to behave ourselves at all!"   Harry snorted with laughter and Remus blushed madly as they parted.  

With a wave to their friends, Remus and Tonks stepped outside into the snowy square and Apparated to the coast, where they would take a ferry to France on their way to Rumania.

* * * * *

"My feet are killing me!" Ginny said, kicking off her elegant dress shoes as she collapsed in a chair in the living room.

"Mine too," Hermione agreed, also removing her shoes and starting to sit down.   "Uh-oh," she said suddenly.

"What?" Ron said.

"These are Parvati’s robes.   If I sit in them, they’ll get wrinkled.   I’m going up to change," Hermione said sensibly.   She picked up her shoes in one hand, the long skirt of her robes in the other and ran up the stairs.

"Sounds like a good idea to me," Ginny said, trying to get up but moaning and sinking back.   "I’m so tired!"   Since there were so few women in the group, those who’d been there had danced with all the men present who wanted to, so the girls had been on their feet much longer than the men had.

Harry sat on the pouf by Ginny’s chair and pulled her feet into his lap, then began massaging them.  

"Ooooooooh, that’s so good," Ginny said, throwing her head back and closing her eyes.   "Don’t ever stop."

"I might need to eat or go to the loo at some point in my life," Harry teased, "but for now, I’ll stay."

"Oh you," she said with a pretty pout and tossed a pillow at him.   "No, wait, give that back," she said, reaching for the pillow he had so deftly caught.   "Maybe it will help my back."

Harry laughed and handed it back to her, then went back to working on her feet.

"Tired, are we?" Fred said brightly when he saw Ginny relaxing with her eyes closed and Harry still massaging her feet.

His sister opened one eye and glared at him.   "Why is it you two never, ever seem to get tired?"

"Good living!" Fred chortled.   "Here, have one of these," he said, holding out a sweet.

"What is it?" Ginny said suspiciously.

"Everlasting Energy," he said. "It’s basically caffeine with some vitamins.   This late at night, you’ll want to eat just one corner of it, but it will definitely perk you up!"

"Not now, thanks," she said with a weary smile.   "I’d like to get some sleep tonight."

"Why?" Fred said cheekily.   "Party on!"   With that, he cruised back to the buffet table and loaded up another plate of food.

"Fifth time he’s been back to the buffet," Ginny said, amazed.   "Yet he and George haven’t put on an ounce.   I wonder how they do it?"

"Probably something like Diet Delights," Ron said with a grin.  

"Is that real?" Ginny said, looking at him with interest.   "If it works and doesn’t hurt people, they could be the richest wizards in the world!"

"I made it up," Ron said with a shrug, "but I wouldn’t put it past them to develop something like that if they can see a profit in it."

"Of course there would be a profit in it!" Ginny said, sitting up a bit straighter.

"Yeah, and among Muggles, it would be huge!" Harry said with a laugh.   "And we could say we knew them when they were just snotty school kids!"

"Hmm.   Maybe I should suggest it to them, and make sure they give me a cut of the profits, since I had the idea," Ron said with a chuckle.   A moment later, he rose to his feet and went to talk with his twin brothers.

Hermione returned to the party in comfortable clothes and began helping Molly and Winky clean up.  

"I guess that’s my cue to go change as well," Ginny said, struggling to her feet.   "Ow.   Mad-Eye must have trodden on my toes fifty times," she groaned.   "Remind me not to dance with him again!"

"Poor baby," Harry said tenderly. "I think a soak in the bath with Remus’s bath salts will fix you right up."

"Yeah, that sounds good!   Later, though," she said, gathering up her skirt, picking up her shoes and heading upstairs.

Harry joined those who were cleaning up, but Molly shooed him away.   "These are your guests, Harry," she reminded him quietly.   "You need to say goodnight to them when they leave."

"Oh, yeah," he said, looking surprised.   "I’m not used to being a host yet."   He grinned, then moved toward the front door, where people were clustered, getting their cloaks on in preparation for leaving.

"Thank you for coming.   I know it meant a lot to Remus and Tonks," Harry said politely to his departing guests.

"Great party, Harry, really, but we’ve got a couple of girls who are expecting us," Fred said, his eyebrows wiggling suggestively.  

"We’ll be back over here for Christmas tomorrow," George added brightly.   "See you then!"

"Have fun, guys!   See you tomorrow," Harry said, grinning at them as they bounded out of the door, still full of energy and ready to party on late into the night.

"Harry, your house looks lovely," Professor McGonagall said with a rare smile.   "You and your house elves are to be commended."

"Thanks," he said sincerely.   "I’ll tell Dobby and Winky that.   Mrs. Weasley and Ginny helped too."

"I’ve already spoken to them.   Have a nice holiday, Harry," she said.   "See you at school.   Good night."

"Good night," Harry replied, opening the door so his guests could leave, shaking hands and chatting briefly with each person as he or she left.   Finally, only Arthur, Molly, Charlie, Bill, Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Harry were left in the house with the house-elves.

"Whew!" Harry said, plopping in a chair with a huge grin on his face.   "That went well, don’t you think?"

"It was great, mate!" Charlie said, then yawned hugely.   "Sorry, long trip."

"No problem," Harry said, laughing at Charlie’s rueful expression.   "I’m just glad you could make it."

"I wouldn’t have missed it for anything," Charlie grinned.   "Remus Lupin, married!   Amazing."

"Yeah," Bill agreed.   "And to Tonks, of all people!   I would never have thought of them being a couple until I saw them together.   She’s good for him."

"Yeah, she makes him happy," Harry said, smiling at the mental picture that had just popped into his head of his normally serious godfather giggling madly because of Tonks’ silliness.   Yes, she was very good indeed for Remus Lupin.

"That was one of the nicest weddings I’ve ever been to," Molly said sincerely, "and the reception was wonderful.   Well done, Harry!"

"It was Dobby and Winky, really.   I never thought I’d have anything to thank the Malfoys or Barty Crouch for, but Dobby and Winky really knows how to throw a fancy party!" Harry said.  

"It’s late.   You lot should go up to bed," Molly told the teenagers as she picked up some dirty dishes.

"Mrs. Weasley, Dobby and Winky can finish cleaning up," Harry said as he got to his feet and pulled Ginny to hers.   "You don’t need to do any more."

"Oh, Harry, dear, I don’t mind at all," Molly said, gathering more dishes in her arms.   Then she straightened up and looked at him curiously.   "Unless you think I’ll insult them by helping?"

"I don’t think they’ll be insulted," he assured her.   "There’s just no reason for you to wear yourself out."

"I won’t be long," she promised.   Arthur followed her around dutifully, helping her carry things to the kitchen.

"Well, we’ve been dismissed," Harry said brightly.   "Who’s first in that wonderful bathtub?"

Once they’d worked out a schedule for the loo, Harry, Ron, Charlie, Bill, Ginny and Hermione went upstairs.   Harry and Ron went to their room and got ready for bed, then sat on the floor playing with the Quidditch rug for quite a while.   Charlie and Bill, who Ron had told about the rug, soon joined them.   The girls took turns taking long, hot baths.   Fragrant from their baths, with their hair still in damp tendrils around their faces, Hermione and Ginny joined the boys, Charlie and Bill to watch Gryffindor trounce Ravenclaw soundly on the Quidditch rug.     Their cheers were interrupted by Molly.

"Really, now, kids, it’s terribly late.   You need to go to bed," she said, smiling at their happy faces.

"Have you seen this rug Harry got?" Ron enthused.   "We’re playing Quidditch!"

"Really?"   She bent over the rug, watching the players for a moment, then stuck her head out of the door.   "Arthur?   Arthur, come and see this, you’ll like it!"

"What is it?" he asked as he came in.   "Ah, I see the party moved upstairs," he said with a smile.

"Look at this, Dad," Charlie said with a huge grin.   "Isn’t this the best use of a rug you’ve ever seen?"

"Now I know what to get you next Christmas," Harry teased the former Seeker.

"You do know I live in a small cabin with a bunch of blokes who all smell strongly of dragon dung, don’t you?" Charlie laughed.   "It would be criminal to put such a nice rug in that setting.   But thanks for the thought."

"It would make a lovely wedding present," Molly said, smiling at her two oldest sons.

"That’s not happening anytime soon, Mum," Charlie countered with a grin.   "Not many ladies to choose from out there in the mountains."

"You won’t be there forever, Charlie.   You’ll meet someone. Why don’t you stay in London for a while, visit friends, take a short holiday?   Maybe you’ll meet someone.   The twins know loads of girls."   Molly looked hopeful.

"Can’t, Mum, but it would be fun.   I’ll see what I can do in the next few months," he promised.

Molly looked at Bill, who threw up his hands in surrender.   "I’m looking, I’m looking!" he said with a laugh, which made her laugh as well.

"All right, then," she said with satisfaction.   "I’d like to have some grandchildren before I’m too old to enjoy them!"

All of the Weasley children groaned, and said with one voice, "MUM!" causing much laughter in the group.

Arthur had joined the boys on the floor and was enthusiastically cheering for the Gryffindor team.

"Mum, you need to try our bathroom," Ginny said.   "There are new taps on the tub with so many kinds of bubble bath, bath salts, all kinds of things.   It’s brilliant!"

"Yes, I loved it," Hermione said with a happy sigh.   "I feel ever so much better since my bath.   My feet don’t hurt anymore."

"I just may do that," Molly said, shaking her head at her husband, who was acting exactly like his sons and Harry, totally engrossed in the game and now directing one of the players with his wand.    She sighed and turned to go.   "Good night, girls.   Try to get them to turn in at some sort of reasonable hour."

"We’ll try," Ginny promised.

* * * * *

Several games later (the Ravenclaws never had a chance, with all the Weasleys, including Ginny, and Harry directing the Gryffindor players), Arthur, Bill and Charlie stood up to leave.   Hermione had fallen asleep on Ron’s bed despite trying to watch the games.   Arthur shook her shoulder gently.  

"Hermione?   You need to wake up so you can go to bed," Arthur said.   "Hermione?"

"Don’t worry, Dad," Ron said.   "I’ll take care of her."   With that, he swept her up in his arms and carried her across the hall, depositing her gently in her bed.   She awakened a little as he laid her down.   "Goodnight, sweetie," he said, leaning down to kiss her.

"Mmmm, ’night," she murmured sleepily, then turned on her side and went back to sleep as Ron removed her slippers and pulled the covers up over her.

"Good night," Harry said, holding Ginny’s hands and leaning down to kiss her.   He was careful not to pull her against him with her dad standing right there, and both he and Ginny in pyjamas and dressing gowns.  

Ginny smiled up at him, knowing exactly what he as thinking and why he was keeping her at arm’s length.   "’Night.   Happy Christmas," she said.

"Oh, it is after midnight, isn’t it?   Happy Christmas to you," he said.   He kissed her again, then reluctantly released her hands as they both backed toward their respective rooms.   She waved at him as she closed her bedroom door.

* * * * *

A couple of hours later, Ginny stood outside her room, listening carefully.   The house was completely quiet.   She crept across the hall toward the boys’ room but stopped, gasping, as she heard steps coming down the hall.   She turned toward the bathroom, thinking that would be a safe excuse for being up.

"Ginny, dear, why are you up?" her mum said.

"Loo," Ginny said simply.   "I wanted a drink of water."

"There’s a pitcher and glasses on the table by your window," Molly said, confused.   "I saw them in there."

"I don’t just want a drink of water," Ginny said with a teasing smile.

"Ah.   I see," Molly replied.   She looked troubled.

"What’s wrong, Mum?   Why are you up?"

"I was going to the kitchen to make some warm milk," Molly said.   "Can’t sleep."

"Why not?"

Molly sighed.   "Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.   I just need some warm milk."

"Sit down, Mum," Ginny said, concerned.   "Tell me what’s wrong."

They sat on the top step.   Molly rubbed her face with both hands, wiping her eyes and glancing furtively at her daughter.

"Come on, Mum, talk to me.   You’re scaring me.   What’s wrong?"

Molly sighed again.   "It’s just that. . .you are all growing up so quickly.   I looked at you and Ron up there this evening, both of you looking so elegant and fine, and I realized, you’re grown!   You’re all grown up and I didn’t notice it somehow.   Ron’s a man now, and you’re nearly a grown woman.   You’re not that old in years, but somehow, I saw the woman in you as you stood there this evening."   She took her daughter’s hand in hers.   "I don’t want to hold on to you too tightly, but I don’t want to let you go too soon, either."

"We’re not going anywhere," Ginny assured her.   "We’re at Hogwarts, then Ron will be at Auror School, I’ll be at Healer School, and both of those are in London.   That’s not so far from the Burrow."

In his room, Harry heard Ginny’s and Molly’s voices.   He got up, put his glasses on and moved to the door.

"What’s up, mate?" Ron asked quietly.

"Your mum’s talking to Ginny in the hall," Harry whispered.  

"Oh, no!   She was going to switch rooms with me tonight," Ron moaned.   "She got caught?"

"Dunno.   There’s no yelling going on, but there’s some crying — your mum, I think," Harry said, getting nervous.   "Do you have any Extendable Ears?"

"No, Ginny has them," Ron said.   "She always carries them.   I’m such an idiot!   I should do that too," he grumbled, shaking his head.

Harry had moved back toward his bed.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked.

"She’s not going to take the heat alone," Harry said determinedly as he put on his dressing gown and slippers.   "I’m going out there."

"Be careful," Ron warned.   "That might not be what it’s about, you know?   Mum cries for all kinds of reasons.   Weddings make her cry.   Having Charlie home makes her cry.   Don’t take the blame before you know what’s up."

"Right," Harry agreed, grateful for the advice.   He hoped Ron was right about the cause of Molly’s crying.   Taking a deep breath, he opened the door.   "Oh!   Hi.   What’s going on?" he asked when he saw the two women sitting on the top step.

"Mum thinks we’re growing up too fast," Ginny said quickly, hoping Harry wouldn’t say anything that would give away their secret.

"Uh. . .why?" he said uneasily.

It’s nothing, dear," Molly said dismissively.   "You all just looked so grown up during the wedding.   Weddings always make me cry.   Don’t worry about me.   Did we wake you?"

"Erm, no," he lied.   "I was going to the loo."

"Too much punch, eh?" Ginny teased.

"Exactly!" he said with a grin.

"Oh, dear," Molly said suddenly.   "You were on your way to the loo, Ginny.   I’m sorry."

"No problem, Mum," she replied, hugging her mother.   "Don’t be upset.   We’re all fine."

Molly sighed again.   "It was so nice having the whole family together tonight — well, everyone but Percy," she said sadly.   "I miss Charlie so.   I wish he didn’t live so far away."

"He’s here for a couple of days, so you’ll have loads of time to visit," Ginny said encouragingly.

Harry saw the girls’ bedroom door crack open, and Hermione peeping out.   He caught her eye, and she backed off, closing the door quietly.

Molly looked at Ginny, then Harry.   "Well, I was going to make myself some warm milk.   Having trouble sleeping, you know," she said with a shrug.   "I won’t keep you from the loo."

"Go ahead, Gin," Harry urged her with a smile.   "You were here first."

Ginny smiled at him, then looked at her mum.   "OK.   Good night."   She got up and padded quietly down the hall, stifling a giggle when she saw Ron peeping out of the door.

Molly looked up at Harry, her eyes serious and sad.   "May I ask you something?"

"Of course," he said, more confidently than he felt.

"What are your intentions toward my daughter?"

"Excuse me?"

"What are your intentions toward my daughter?" Molly repeated patiently.   "I see how you two look at each other, and you have given her a promise ring.   It’s obvious to anyone that you care for each other a great deal."

"We love each other," Harry said simply.

"I thought so.   So what are your intentions?" Molly pressed.

Harry stared at her uncertainly.   He didn’t really want to discuss this subject with his girlfriend’s mother in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve in the chilly hallway of his home.   He wasn’t certain when or where he’d want to discuss this with Mrs. Weasley, but somehow, this didn’t seem the time or place.   Yet here it was, and he had to deal with it.   He glanced up and noticed both bedroom doors cracked open, with Ron and Hermione both eavesdropping on the conversation.

"Harry?   I asked you a question.   Do you know what your intentions are?"

"Yes, I do, actually, but I didn’t think I’d have to talk to you about them so soon," he said, sitting on the step next to her, taking Ginny’s place.   He took a moment to collect his thoughts, then took a deep, calming breath and blew it out.   "I love Ginny.   She loves me.   I mean to marry her as soon as you’ll let me.   But I haven’t asked her and won’t, not until I’ve spoken with you and Mr. Weasley.   I want to do it properly, you see," he said quite seriously.

Molly sighed.   She loved Harry deeply, yet Ginny was her daughter, her baby, and she was so young.   "That’s very sweet, Harry, but you and Ginny are too young.   You don’t know your own hearts yet.   You’ll probably go out with loads of other girls before you find your one true love and get married."

"I’m sorry to contradict you, Mrs. Weasley, but I do know my heart.   Ginny is my one true love," Harry said, getting nervous as he watched Molly swiftly change from his understanding friend to a mother defending her child.

"Ginny is only sixteen years old," Molly said firmly.   "That’s too young for her to know her heart."

"My parents—" Harry began.

"Died far too soon," Molly interrupted.   "You haven’t had a role model for a good marriage, for a good family.   Oh, Harry, when I first saw you — that dear little face, those sad, scared but hopeful eyes — my heart went out to you.   I’ve grown to love the wonderful boy you are, just as if you’re one of my own.   And if you were one of my own, I’d tell you the same thing.   You are too young, and Ginny’s too young, to know your own hearts.   This is a first love, not a ‘forever’ love."

"I do know my own heart, Mrs. Weasley," Harry said firmly.   "Yes, I’m only seventeen, but I know Ginny’s the one for me.   She makes me so happy.   And I make her happy too."

"And you break her heart every time you’re hurt or sick," Molly interjected.   "Have you thought about what it will do to her if . . ."   She couldn’t finish the sentence.

"You mean if Voldemort kills me?" he said with rising anger.   "Yes, of course, I’ve thought about it.   And I know it would hurt her terribly.   I don’t want to hurt her, nor do I want to put her in danger.   That’s why I won’t marry her until I’ve killed Voldemort.   If I had a wife, she would be in danger because he would know she’d be something he could use against me.   I won’t put her in that kind of danger."

"Yes, let’s talk about You-Know-Who," Molly said, her own temper rising.  

"Say the name," Harry snapped.   The pictures on the wall above his head rattled a bit as his temper flared.

"You-Know-Who," Molly insisted, "is trying to kill you.   Has been for years.   You’ve changed since the last time I saw you, Harry.   There’s something dark in you now, that wasn’t there before.   I think it’s connected with You-Know-Who somehow.   What’s going on with you?"

"Dark?" Harry gasped, astonished.   "I’m no Dark wizard!"

"I didn’t mean it that way," Molly said placatingly.   "But there’s something dark behind your eyes now that wasn’t there before.   Something hard, bitter, that wasn’t there before.   What’s changed?"

"I’ve spent my life trying to escape from Voldemort," he replied tensely.   "I wasn’t capable of killing him before, although I did try.   But I was a kid, I didn’t have the necessary skills, I didn’t have the necessary mind-set.   Yes, he was trying to kill me, but the idea of killing someone was a horror that took me a long time to get past.   Then I wound up killing people in those battles.   I was forced to do it at first, then something in me snapped and I found it to be much easier to kill them than I would ever have thought.   I didn’t enjoy it, I was upset by it, but I needed to survive, to save Ron, to save Ginny and Remus and Tonks.   I think I grew up that day in France.   I became someone else in a way.   I don’t feel like a seventeen year old kid, Mrs. Weasley.   I feel like an old man sometimes.  I can’t explain it, but every so often I see kids my age doing things I used to consider great fun, but I can’t find make myself do them, I can’t act like a kid, not unless Ginny, Ron or Hermione drag me into it.   Then I enjoy it, whatever silly thing it is, but I wouldn’t have got involved on my own."

"What do you mean?"

"Snowball fights.   Playing games.   Lying around doing nothing.   I used to enjoy those things a lot," he said, quite seriously, "and still do many times.   But now I’m constantly doing research on spells, practicing them, improving them, all with one goal in mind:   killing Voldemort.   My friends don’t have that . . . that life-and-death kind of thing hanging over them, not the way I do.   And it’s changed me.   I’m tired of running.   I’m tired of feeling incompetent when I face Voldemort.   So I’ve worked hard to learn and create spells that should be not just good defences, but good offences against him.   I am planning to kill a man, and doing everything in my power to reach that goal.   Not just to kill him, but to utterly destroy him, so he has no chance of regenerating himself again.   That way of thinking — planning to deliberately kill someone — messes up your mind.   So if you see something ‘dark’ in my eyes, that’s probably it."   He was fighting to control his temper again by the time he finished speaking.

"Then it would be best for you to not see Ginny anymore until you have your task done," Molly said sadly.   "If you’re going to the dark places inside you, you won’t be good for her. And she’s too young to be seriously considering marriage anyway.   So, Harry, I want you to stay away from my daughter."

"WHAT?" he gasped, leaping to his feet.   "You. . .you. . .you can’t mean it!"

"I do," Molly said, also rising to her feet.   "Ginny’s too young to be so serious about anyone, and you have too much on your plate to deal with such feelings yourself.   You’ve spent a lifetime not being loved, Harry.   I understand your wanting to hold onto the first loving family you’ve found, but honestly, it’s best for both of you if you stop seeing each other."   She sighed, sad for the boy, but doing what she felt she had to do as a mother.  No matter how much she cared for Harry, her own children’s needs had to come first.  "As long as she’s under my roof, she cannot see you again."

"I believe she’s under my roof right now," Harry growled through clenched teeth as he struggled to control his temper and work out some way to salvage his romance.

"Don’t you cheek me, young man!" Molly snapped. "You will not see her again."

"MUM!" Ginny cried, having heard the last bits of the conversation.   "You can’t do this!"

Molly turned a stern face on her daughter.   "I can and just did.   You and Harry will not see each other romantically anymore.   Give him back his ring."

"I will NOT give him back his ring, and I will not stop seeing him!" Ginny snarled.   "You can’t tell me what to do anymore."

"Oh, yes, I can, my girl!   This is for your own good.   You’ll understand when you’re older," Molly insisted.   By this time, Hermione, Ron, Arthur, Charlie and Bill were all standing in the hall, mouths agape in shock, drawn to the sound of raised, angry voices.

"I love him!   I would have married him tonight if he had agreed!" Ginny declared hotly.

"And I would have agreed," Harry said with a sad smile, "but I knew your parents wouldn’t.   We can’t start a life together with your parents angry with us."

"It should have been a double ceremony!" Ginny cried.

"Triple," Ron said firmly, shocking his mother.

"Ron!   Not you and—" Molly gasped.

"Yes, and her name is Hermione," Ron said, truly angry with his mother.   "We should have planned a triple ceremony.   That would’ve been great.   We can do a double with you and Ginny, Harry.   How about it?"

Harry looked at his best mate with a heartbroken smile.   "That would be fantastic.   But we can’t.   Not just now."

"Why not?" Ron said boldly.   "We can get Dumbledore back and. . ."

"You haven’t even asked Hermione," Harry pointed out.   "And I won’t go against your parents’ wishes until Ginny’s an adult.   If they still won’t agree then, well, she’ll be an adult and we can do what we want.   But I’d rather they were happy for us, you know?   And you should feel the same."

"They’ll get over it," Ron said, his eyes snapping defiant blue fire at his mother.

"RON!   No!" Molly cried in anguish.

Ron turned to Hermione.   "Well?   You want to?"

Hermione’s face was white.   "Uh. . .Ron. . .it’s a bit sudden," she mumbled.

"Do you want to marry me or not?" he demanded.

Hermione moved into his arms.   "Someday.   Not today.   I want to finish school first.  Can you wait?"   She looked up at him hopefully.   "Let’s not make this decision in haste.   It should be a happy time, you know?   And this just isn’t."   She brushed his cheek lightly with her fingers.   "But thanks for asking," she said with a smile.

He sighed and rested his cheek on top of her head, holding her close.   "I’d do it, you know."

"I know," she replied.

"Don’t rush into things on my account, mate," Harry said quietly.   He was heartbroken, but he wouldn’t allow the Weasley family to fight over him.   "Ginny," he said softly.   "You’re only sixteen.   Your mum does have the right."   His face was carved in tense lines as he held himself in rigid control.   "I will wait for you, sweetheart.   When you finish Hogwarts—"

Ginny could see Harry trying to do the honourable thing and it appalled her.   "NO!   Harry, no!   She doesn’t. . .she can’t. . ."

"She already has," he said sadly.  

 "Harry!   No, please!"

"Keep your ring, sweet girl.   I’ll give you a much better one when you finish school," he promised, his voice breaking, tears sparkling in his lashes.   He started to speak again, but instead pulled her into his arms and kissed her, murmured, "I love you, baby," then turned into a phoenix and disappeared in a flash of light.

"HARRY!" Ginny screamed, then fell to the floor crying.   Hermione bent to comfort her.   Ginny looked up at her mother.   "I will never forgive you for this!  Never! EVER!"

"Ginny, you’ll understand when you’re older.   Sometimes parents have to do things their children don’t understand in order to protect them," Molly said sadly.

"Molly, I can’t believe you did this," Arthur said sternly.

"What?" she said in surprise.

"Harry’s a phoenix Animagus?   I thought he was a cat," Bill said quietly to Charlie.   "Did you know?"   His brother shook his head, and they both turned back to watch the continuing drama unfolding before them.

Hermione tried to help the weeping Ginny into their room, but Ginny would not budge.  

"Harry’s out there somewhere all alone, and it’s YOUR FAULT!     He’s out there in his pyjamas and slippers, for Merlin’s sake!" she cried, then looked up at Ron.   "Is Merlin in your room?"

"Yeah."

"Merlin!   Harry needs you!" Ginny cried, leaping to her feet and running into the boys’ room.   The magnificent bird tilted his head at her.   "Please, Merlin," she said desperately, "I know I’m not Harry, and you don’t have to listen to me, but I know you can understand me.   Harry’s turned into a phoenix and flashed away somewhere.   I don’t know where he is, but he’s upset, and has probably gone somewhere to be alone.   It’s so cold out and he’s not dressed for it.   He shouldn’t be alone.   Please find him and bring him back, OK?"

The phoenix crooned one silvery, liquid note, then disappeared in a flash.  

Comforted at least a little by the phoenix’s song, Ginny collapsed on Harry’s bed, holding his pillow in her arms, breathing in the scent of him, far too heartsick to cry.   Hermione sat beside her, not knowing what to do.

Out in the hall, Arthur was showing rare temper.   "How could you do that to them, Molly?   I told you months ago that they were serious, and you did nothing then.   Why try to break them up now, when they’ve had time to really fall in love?   Haven’t you seen how they are together?   They love each other!   How could you not see that?"

"I DID see that, and that’s exactly why I did what I did!" Molly snapped defiantly.   "And did you hear Ron just now?   What’s going on at that school that they’re letting children get so involved with each other?"

"They aren’t children, nor have they been for quite some time," Arthur said seriously.   "And as for them being too young — Harry’s parents fell in love at the age of sixteen. Remus told me that when he and I were talking about how strongly Ginny and Harry seem to feel for each other, and this was months ago.   And you, Molly.   How old were you when you fell in love with me?   Huh?"   He stared angrily at her, daring her to lie.

"That was different," she said uneasily.

"No, it wasn’t," Arthur retorted.

"So how old were you, Mum?" Ron asked, still furious with her.

"That’s none of your business," Molly snapped.

"She was sixteen, just barely sixteen, mind you," Arthur said.   "And we got in all kinds of trouble for staying out too late, but we were so in love, we lost all track of time when we were together.   I was a bit older, nearly seventeen, when we realized we were in love.   Harry and Ginny are actually older than we were when we fell in love, Molly.   We knew that we were right for each other from early on.   I tried to break up with your mother for a time so she could date other boys and be really certain I was the one she wanted, but she nearly hexed me into oblivion for it."   He turned back to his wife, frustrated and angry.   "Molly, you just wanted a career teaching and wouldn’t marry me right after Hogwarts, or we would have married younger.   So how could you say those things to these children?"

"You just finished saying they weren’t children," Molly said evasively.

"Don’t split hairs with me, Molly," Arthur replied tensely.   "Be honest.   What’s going on in that head of yours?   Why would you want to break them up?"

"They’re too young!" she insisted.

"No, they’re not," Arthur countered.   "And now Harry’s who-knows-where without warm clothes, and in this weather."   He sighed.   "We should send a message to Dumbledore.   Harry needs to be found, so we can be certain he’s safe and warm."

"He can warm himself with a Warming Charm," Molly snarled.   "He is not going out with Ginny anymore!"

"You aren’t making that decision," Arthur told her, glaring at her in fury.   "Ron?   Does Harry have his wand with him?"

"Let me look in our room," Ron said.

Before he took two steps, Ginny wailed, "His wand’s in here!   He’s wandless!"     She grabbed his wand and strode furiously out into the hall, pointing the wand at her mother.

"Ginny, don’t!" Arthur said, seeing his daughter fully intent on hexing her mother.

"Don’t worry, Dad," Ron said.   "That wand is spelled so it only works for Harry."

"Really?   Why?" Arthur asked, intrigued in spite of all the other things that were going on.  

"Ask Dumbledore sometime — or Harry," Ron said, backing away from his still-furious sister who was now pointing the wand at him.

"Are you so sure it’s spelled only for Harry?" Ginny growled, but then relented.   "Yeah, you’re right.   I knew that," she said as her hand dropped to her side.   "We need to find him."

"Right.   Bill, you send a message to Albus, would you?   I need to talk with your mother," Arthur said, taking the still-fuming Molly firmly by the shoulders and guiding her back to their room.   "You boys look after your sister, all right?" he called over his shoulder.   "Don’t let her go off trying to find Harry.   Dumbledore will bring him back safely, and very soon."

"Come on, Gin, how about some tea?" Ron said hopefully.   He put his arm around his sister’s shoulders and started walking her down the stairs, Charlie and Hermione following.   Bill trailed behind them after sending an Adfero to Dumbledore.

"Would you really have married Hermione tonight?" Ginny asked.

"Well. . .it would have been too soon, I think," Ron said honestly.   "I don’t believe she and I are as far along in our relationship as you and Harry are."

He heard a relieved sigh behind him.   "I’m so glad you said that," Hermione said with a smile as she came up next to them in the hall.   "You had me scared for a while there!"

"Scared of what?" he asked curiously, sliding his arm around her shoulders and pulling her close as they walked down the hall to the kitchen.

"Scared that you were serious about what you were saying," Hermione confessed.   "I’m just not ready for that yet, but I do love you."

"I love you too, and I’m not ready yet, either," Ron said.   "It just fell out of my mouth and there it was, so I suppose at some point it will fall out of my mouth at a more appropriate time.   Consider yourself warned," he said with a smile, kissing her on top of her curly hair.

"I’ll remember that," Hermione promised.   She looked across his broad chest at Ginny, whose face was red and blotchy from crying and temper.   "Are you all right?"

"I won’t be all right until Harry’s back here with us.   Imagine her pulling this at Christmas, making him leave his own house!   And we’re GUESTS here!   He was so happy this evening!   The house looks great, the house elves outdid themselves on the preparations, Remus and Tonks had such a lovely wedding and such fun at the reception — and now this had to happen to spoil the evening." Ginny had gone from rage to crabbiness finally, which was at least some form of an improvement.

"I never thought I’d see the day when you pulled a wand in temper on Mum," Ron said admiringly.   "What hex were you going to use?"

"I honestly forgot his wand was spelled to not work for other people," Ginny confessed.   "I was going to put the Everlasting Boils spell on her, and a Bat-Bogey Hex.   And probably a Never-Ending Silencing Charm, if I knew such a charm existed!"   She growled deep in her throat.   "I would never have imagined Mum would treat Harry that way.   She says she loves him!"

"If you stop to think about it, she was treating him just like family, so I suppose she does love him," Ron said philosophically.   "Doesn’t make it any easier for Harry to take."

"He won’t trust her again after this," Hermione said, "not for a long time, if ever.   She’s going to miss that."

"So is he," Ginny said sadly.   "He loves Mum.   She just broke his heart in a lot more ways than one."   She sighed heavily, fat tears rolling down her cheeks again.   "Oh, Harry, where are you?" she said miserably.

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

Nuovo Partita means "new game" in Italian. In OoP, Sirius told Harry that Andromeda Tonks "was" his favourite cousin, and, while Tonks does mention her dad in OoP, she never mentions her mum, so I've assumed she's dead here - that's why she's not at her daughter's wedding. Many thanks to my brilliant Brit-picker, Kelpie, and my betas, Starfox, Blakevich, Iris and Asad!